Your first project
Learn your way around Toloka with the following steps:
Before you start
Step 1. Create a project
In the project, you'll customize an appearance of the tasks.
- On the Projects tab, click Customizable.
Choose a template that matches your task. Start with a pre-configured template: it already contains a task interface and instructions for Tolokers. Adapt the solution for your own tasks if needed.
- Image classification
Designed to determine which category an image belongs to.
- Product search relevance
Intended to rate how relevant products are to specific search queries.
- Object recognition & detection
Used to outline objects on images for training computer vision to detect them.
- Customer survey
Designed to collect information for research purposes.
If you can't find a suitable solution, choose the Blank template to set up a project from scratch. To learn how, see the Initial project settings section.
- In the General information section, fill in the project name and a brief explanation of what will happen within the project.
- In the Task interface section, do the following:
- Select Template builder.
- Edit the preset task interface to configure the task appearance.
- Click Show specifications to see the generated input and output data fields.
- In the Instructions for performers section, edit the ready-made instructions if needed.
- Click Create a project.
Step 2. Configure a task pool
A pool is a set of tasks sent out for completion at the same time. Create and configure the pool as follows:
- On the project page, click Create new pool.
- Configure the pool parameters:
- Set a price per task page and overlap. The minimum price is $0.005.
- Use filters to select Tolokers who will have access to your tasks.
- Add and configure quality control rules to get more accurate responses. You can use a quality control preset with default settings. In the Quality Control section, click Add a quality control rule and choose a suitable preset.
- Click Create pool.
Step 3. Upload a file with tasks
A task is the data you want Tolokers to label. Each image or comment is a separate task.
Create a TSV file with the tasks. On the pool page, download the sample file that matches your task type.
- General — tasks that you don't have answers for, and you want to get responses from Tolokers.
- Control — tasks that you know the correct answers to. It is used for checking Tolokers.
- Training — tasks with correct answers and hints. It is used for training Tolokers to complete a task.
- Add the tasks data to the sample file. For a trial pool, 10–100 tasks is enough.
- Click Upload and choose how to divide tasks into suites.
- Click Upload and choose the file with the tasks.
- After uploading the file, click Preview to make sure that your tasks look correctly.
- Use control tasks to improve Tolokers' task completion quality.Tip. To save time, you can opt for having your control tasks created by Toloka experts.
Step 4. Launch the pool and get the results
- Start the pool by clicking Start labeling. This assigns the tasks to the Tolokers.
- Complete your tasks as a Toloker by yourself.
- Track your project with the real-time statistics on the pool and project pages.
- When you complete the testing in the Sandbox, move your project to the Toloka production version and launch the pool for real Tolokers.
- View our tutorials. Perhaps there is an instruction that fits your task, and you will only need to insert your own data.
- If you don't like Template Builder, try out the HTML/JS/CSS editor.
- See the Toloka API documentation to learn how to manage your projects via the API.
- If you have questions or problems, see the Troubleshooting and support section.